Pashley Speed 5 1930s Racing Bike
Pashley Speed 5 1930s Racing Bike
The Speed 5 is our tribute to the heyday of gentlemanly British cycle racing. This was a time when riders would come together in the noble pursuit of record-breaking times with only the satisfaction and thrill of success for reward. It embodies all that was great about this era, allowing you to follow in the footsteps of these men in your own exciting cycling endeavours.
The British racing green and gold colour scheme hints at this heritage, as does the frame-mounted number plate, and the traditionally slack frame geometry gives a dynamic riding position for maximum speed and performance. This sense of lineage is bolstered by hand-built quality - every Speed 5 is meticulously constructed by our dedicated craftsmen from legendary Reynolds 531 steel to produce a bicycle that will last a lifetime. The quality of construction is matched by the components we have chosen for this most special of cycles. The wide diameter Sturmey Archer hub brakes allow you to brake late for corners and have ultimate control over your speed, and the classic Brooks Swift leather saddle gradually forms to your shape for a high level of comfort and fullrange of movement.
The Speed 5 is not simply a revival of path racing tradition but an advancement of the sport, embodying the principles of the early pioneers with a refined design they would be truly proud of.
Colour: British Racing Green.
Gears: Sturmey Archer 5 speed C50 hub gear with thumb shifter control.
Frame: Traditional lugged and brazed construction with authentic 1930s geometry. Scalloped lugs and Reynolds 531 butted tubes. Individually hand-built.
Fork: Tubular crown, hand-brazed.
Saddle: Brooks black Swift natural leather saddle with chromed steel rails.
Handlebar: Semi-drop bar on a forged alloy quill stem.
Brakes: Sturmey Archer all-weather, low maintenance front (90mm) and rear (70mm) hub brakes.
Wheels: Gold lined black alloy Westwood rims with stainless steel spokes.
Tyres: 28x1 1/2" Black Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tyres with puncture protection.
Mudguards: None supplied.
Pedals: Alloy body with toe clips and black leather straps.
Crankset: Sugino polished alloy crankset (46T, 170mm) with guard.
Other Features: Micro-adjust alloy seatpost, brass bell, GB anti-slip diamond patterned silcone back handlebar tape, golden chain, Race number, GB wingnuts.
Frames Sizes: 20.5", 22.5" and 24.5" (double top tube frame).
Wide-range five speed gearing and powerful, large diameter hub-brakes offer you speed-control with reliable stopping capability. Power is conveyed to the rear wheel via a golden half-link chain drive.
Toe clips and straps, a sweeping high-strength stainless steel handlebar and a traditional frame-fitted number plate complete this racing thoroughbred.
- Historic racing frame with dynamic riding position: Authentic 1930s Path Racer frame with a long stable wheelbase and relaxed steering geometry, suited to speed cycling and gravel racing! With traditional frame-mounted race number plate. The frame is hand-built using 100 year old traditional methods - with original lightweight Reynolds 531 tubing hand-brazed into lugs - for the attention to detail that only a frame crafted by hand can possess. With traditional tubular crown forks and specially formed D section stays.
- Semi-drop classic racing handlebars: Swept-back, high-strength stainless steel bar for confident handling whilst racing. Finished with GB anti-slip diamond patterned silcone back handlebar tape.
- Brass ‘ping’ Bell: A classic bell that is a refined addition to any bicycle. The bell has a domed shape body with a simple sprung finger mechanism that sounds out a clear ‘ting’ to let others know you're approaching. The bell can be attached to either the handlebars or the stem.
- Classic 5 speed hub Gears: With an easy-shift gear lever, they allow you to tackle hills and glide along gracefully on flatter terrain with ease. Fully enclosed gear system that requires minimal maintenance.
- Powerful fully-enclosed hub brakes: hub-brakes provide reliable stopping power come rain or shine (90mm front, 70mm rear). Enclosed and sealed from all-weathers, these brakes are low maintenance and robust.
- Iconic GB wingnuts: Adds to the Speed 5's authenticity and makes removal of the wheels that little bit easier. Manufactured in England using the original tooling.
- Classic tyres with puncture protection: a reliable tyre with a puncture protection insert, and a tread design that allows for secure contact with the road surface but with a low rolling resistance.
- Traditional Brooks 'Swift' leather saddle: The handsome 'Swift' is a gentleman's racing saddle with delicately hand-skived lower sides for greater comfort whilst pedalling. The leather allows the saddle to breathe and form to your shape over time becoming uniquely comfortable. It's finished with large hand-beaten copper rivets, and comes with handy loops on the rear for luggage attachment.
- Pedals with traditional toe-clips and leather straps: keep your feet in securely place, helping to transfer your pedal-power more efficiently.
- Golden half-link chain: eye catching design and tough construction to transfer powerful cadence.